Zone Sales Manager
October 8, 2019
Imagine…working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
Job Title: Zone Sales Manager
Reports to: Area Sales Director
We are building a competitively advantaged Campbell Snacks Sales organization with snacking talent, capabilities and accountabilities. Guiding our path to excellence is our Sales True North compass which reflects our values, who we are, what we do and the unique value we bring to the market.
Who are we? – Indispensable partner that drives profitable growth as one team
What we do – Grow faster than the competition every store, every day
Unique Value – Build and ensure execution of great plans + DSMP (Distribution, Shelving, Merchandising, Pricing)
Our Values – own it like a founder, dare to disrupt, seek the power of different, do right and be real
The Zone Sales Manager (ZSM) is responsible for leading a team of Market Sales Leaders (MSLs) to achieve distribution, sales, merchandising and promotional targets. The ZSM is responsible for developing and implementing the zone business strategy, including marketplace deployment of resources. The ZSM provides sales leadership and personal development to the respective MSL team.
* Responsible for proactively managing, monitoring, evaluating and updating the overall business plan to meet Campbell Snacks objectives.
* Create and communicate targets for distribution, merchandising, and promotional execution to exceed the business plan by category.
* Secure retail space for new items and work with key retail customer decision makers to achieve optimal execution.
* Plan and execute vertical compression sales calls to secure incremental execution support metrics to deliver growth.
* Forge and develop strong relationships with key retail customer decision makers to assist in the expansion of Campbell Snacks category presence.
* Assess the retail customer’s competitive position, behaviors and strategies and understand how they align with Campbell Snacks strategic goals.
* Utilize the retail customer insights and translate effectively into stronger execution results that improve the store, Independent DSD Partners, and Campbell Snacks profit and share.
* Track and evaluate competitive threats in the market and set strategic gap closure plans to win!
* Design and forecast quarterly business plans to attain key metrics across the portfolio.
Independent DSD Partner (IDP) Engagement
* Cultivate, develop and implement quality joint business engagement to optimize service, execution and sales performance for the benefit of the retail customers, IDPs, and Campbell Snacks.
* Plan and host quarterly IDP Forums to collaborate on operational matters with the IDPs.
* Leverage syndicated and retail customer supplied data to discuss the state of the snacks business, consumer trends, key business drivers, and discover incremental opportunities.
* Develop route infrastructure plan to help support growth.
* Help identify potential IDPs for open routes.
Team Development (Campbell Snacks MSLs)
* Review weekly MSL deployment plans to improve execution and deliver on the Campbell Snacks objectives.
* Collaborate with Sales Operations to improve the efficiency of the market and drive growth.
* Seek out and provide support as needed to the different functions on assigned categories (e.g. new product development, process improvement, brand marketing).
* Track monthly forecasts in order to maximize supply chain efficiencies and provide constructive feedback on shipments, consumption data and inventory changes. Proactively identify potential risks or threats to monthly forecasts.
* Utilize performance management plans with MSLs to develop and enhance individual skills, capabilities and behaviors to build a team culture.
* Conduct MSL team meetings as necessary to share best practices, role play and communicate deployment plans and other strategic initiatives.
* Engage with a diverse set of outside stakeholders, including retailers and IDPs, while navigating complex route to market distribution model, distributor model and market trends
* Able to assess market needs and deploy resources against business issues and demands
* Utilize iPad business applications to provide up to date information regarding business trends
* Train, coach and develop new MSLs on processes and best practices
* Identify and implement growth strategies for infrastructure opportunities
* Deliver gross revenue target
* Contribute to ACV display gains in key accounts and region geography
* Deliver Wired to Win objectives
* Establish strong selling relationships with key retail customers and divisional leaders of top retail accounts within zone
* Ensure MSL team is engaging IDPs in collaborative spirit to build relationships and maximize growth potential
* Build, recruit & develop high performing MSL team that effectively impacts store execution results and promotes positive IDP engagement & culture
* Period strategy meetings with MSL team to align on goals and opportunities
* Identify & mentor MSLs so that they can achieve personal development and career progress. Effectively manage the performance of those MSLs struggling to meet role expectations.
* Minimum education required: Bachelor’s Degree.
* Years of relevant experience: 5-10 years DSD Sales experience
* Prior management experience required
* Direct Store Delivery (DSD) route to market, warehouse experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Exceptional problem solving and conflict management skills
* Strong selling and negotiation skills
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Self-motivated and effective team member
* Experience with technology and ability to learn iPad business applications
* Working knowledge of MS Office to include PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
* Working knowledge of independent contractor relationship nuances
* Travel as needed
* Must be able to relocate as required
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.