Area Sales Director
May 15, 2019
Imagine…working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
We are building a competitively advantaged Campbell Snacks Sales organization with snacking talent, capabilities and accountabilities. Guiding our path to excellence is our Sales True North compass which reflects our values, who we are, what we do and the unique value we bring to the market.
Who are we? – Indispensable partner that drives profitable growth as one team
What we do – Grow faster than the competition every store, every day
Unique Value – Build and ensure execution of great plans + DSMP (Distribution, Shelving, Merchandising, Pricing)
Our Values – own it like a founder, dare to disrupt, seek the power of different, do right and be real
Our Area Sales Directors (ASD) are responsible for transforming the strategic vision of Campbell Snacks business units into actionable plans to deliver AOP volume targets and critical key performance measures. Each ASD will develop strategies and provide leadership to drive business results and optimize distribution. ASDs must lead and develop the Area Sales Team (AST)Zone Sales Managers (ZSMs) and Market Sales Leads (MSLs) and provides input to, the Regional Vice President for area alignment.
- Design and implement go to market strategies and utilize business analytics to inform or drive key business issues/plans related to base products and/or innovation, marketing activation and retail execution to deliver the AOP plan.
- Lead in setting a long and short-term vision for the AST and ensure execution at all levels: Create the execution strategy to exceed the annual plan results, cascade targets for distribution, merchandising and promotional expectations to all levels of the team.
- Communicate retail execution goals and monitor AST performance to achieve business strategies.
- Forecast and analyze market conditions and develop gap plans across the territory to deliver the plan.
- Plan and implement vertical compression sales calls and maintain relationships with all key decision makers for major retail chains.
- Conduct retail customer specific analysis across portfolio of brands to identify opportunities to the plan and makes appropriate tactical recommendations to drive improvement.
- Provide insights, feedback and collaborate with internal retail customer team with solution oriented ideas and adjustments for continuous improvement.
- Build a financial discipline across the AST that embraces transformational change and continuous improvement on the bottom line.
- Conduct post-event analyses and use learnings to adjust future programs
- Lead retail customer development within assigned area with an emphasis on designing and maintaining a retail customer wiring plan for compression selling.
- Penetrate and establish retail customer relationships with elevated levels of management through focused compression selling to drive profitable sales for both the retail customer, IDPs and Campbell Snacks.
- Ensure that ZSMs and MSLs drive engagement with Campbell Snacks account managers and external retail customers by facilitating effective strategy sessions and compression calls that provide solutions to their business needs.
- Maintain and bolster headquarter connectivity to ensure cross-functional collaboration.
Independent DSD Partner (IDP) Engagement
- Design and collaborate with internal sales operations team to create a route infrastructure strategy to drive growth for retail customers, IDPs, and Campbell Snacks.
- Coach, lead and influence AST to develop strong relationships with IDPs.
- Engage and collaborate with IDPs to assist in their business and sales growth while reinforcing observance of contractual obligations and retail customer service expectations.
- Develop timely and accurate forecasts and proactively identify risks and opportunities.
- Provide clear and concise communication to AST regarding sales and distribution opportunities and other key information utilizing available applications and tools, which will assist them in engaging with IDPs.
- Effectively communicate a solution-oriented approach to internal stakeholders in supply chain, plant operations, depot management and sales support with opportunities for improved efficiency and effectiveness with IDP issues or concerns.
- Establish and reinforce Route Consult scheduling by AST to achieve connectivity and collaboration with IDPs.
- Help Identify potential IDPs for open routes.
Team Development (Campbell Snacks ZSMs and MSLs)
- Utilize performance management plans to develop and enhance individual skills, capabilities and behaviors to build a passionate team culture with ownership at all levels.
- Utilize one on one conversations to highlight strengths, and opportunities in managerial skills for all ZSM team members.
- Promote cross-functional teamwork and collaboration throughout every level of the AST.
- Develop a diverse, engaged, highly capable, promotable and skilled field sales force that is focused on delivering results.
- Build organizational bench strength by sourcing, nurturing and retaining top talent by ensuring successful onboarding and training completion for Campbell Snacks employees and aiding in the establishment of development plans for ZSMs and MSLs that will help prepare them for future roles.
- Lead, develop and own the Retail Operations Plan and establish regional strategies
- Collaborate with other internal function areas to develop and execute programs. Lead communication of specific retail customer plans to AST.
- Minimum education required: BS/BA or equivalent combination of education and experience Education desired: MBA preferred
- Years of relevant experience: 10+ years DSD sales experience with minimum 5 years in management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated and effective team member
- Proven Leader
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic, Detail-Oriented Thinking
- Team Building
- Exceptional Problem solving
- Conflict Management
- Process and change management knowledge and skills
- Superior Selling and negotiation skills
- Advanced analytical Skills
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office including Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Technologically advanced in iPad business applications
- Coach, train, develop Area Sales Team
- Knowledge of independent contractor relationship nuances
- Travel as needed
- Must be able to relocate as required
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.