Manager Transportation Operations
August 9, 2018
Imagine…working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
The Manager of Transportation Operations is responsible for setting direction for the Campbell North America (CNA) Transportation Operations team. The CNA Transportation team is a combination of insourced Campbell’s resources and outsourced strategic partner resources. This role determines the balance between insourcing and outsourcing, leads mode and partner relationship management strategies. This person is responsible for supporting $250MM in annual spend, which equates to about 70% of the Logistics spend. They support North America Transportation best practice sharing in the areas of transportation capacity management, cost reduction, service improvements, sustainability and controls. This position is responsible for all transportation short-term planning and tactical controls across CNA. This role will take a support position in the industry to improve Campbell’s understanding and responsiveness to legislative transportation trends. This role is also responsible for the financial compliance to all transportation related SOX and audit requirements. They are responsible for ensuring compliance to audit procedures and improving process controls to reduce risk.
This position will build strategic partnerships and manage operational relationships with the associated suppliers/carriers and they will design, prioritize and develop metrics, score-carding, and performance results for Transportation. The Manager of Transportation Operations will lead team engagement and talent management efforts and develop leadership, in-depth problem solving, business process analytics and project management skills across the Transportation team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop, lead, and support the operations plan for the Transportation Organization, driving overall logistics cost savings and growing strategic carrier / 3PL partnerships for the ASM&B business, plus increased accountability for C-Fresh as necessary. Duties include:
- Lead Transportation function across CNA and global best practice sharing and cascade communications throughout levels in the organization.
- Partner in transportation strategy development relative to insourcing vs outsourcing, carrier optimization, IT prioritization and, supplier relationship management.
- Create direction, identify and secure resources to drive productivity initiatives that generate cost reductions while also meeting or exceeding service expectations.
- Lead the team’s continual linkage with other areas of the organization including Legal, Global Procurement, Pepperidge Farm, Supply Chain Planning, Customer Service, Customer Logistics, Sales and the Supply Chain field operations.
- Lead the team to question conventional logistical practices and design continuous improvements that leverage our CNA scale while sharing and/or capitalizing on global best practices in transportation.
- Subject matter expert of transportation terms, pricing, mode, and sourcing strategies.
- Proactively assess logistics related legislative risks and/or opportunities for the Campbell Soup Company.
- Drive consistency across the department to identify and solve key business gaps.
- Develop and communicate strategies internally to other departments and externally to transportation service providers.
- Lead efforts to improve transportation department talent management and engagement.
- Partner with Supply Chain finance to manage strategy planning, projection and delivery relative to plan for a spend that represents 70% of the Campbell’s logistics costs.
- Lead logistics and financial understanding relative to industry drivers including fuel indexes and legislative trends with business implications.
- Partner with Warehousing to develop and drive sustainability.
- Influence and communicate across multiple organizational levels, functions and business units.
- Influence and communicate the need for process change directly and indirectly.
- Help others understand industry and economic drivers (commodity / fuel) and trends that could impact near term capacity and/or longer range plans.
- Be seen in the industry as a transportation expert.
- Lead transportation team in reviewing and updating policies that align with overall business direction and comply to financial SOX requirements.
- Responsible for leading, motivating and developing the Transportation team.
- Set direction with 3rd party providers (carriers, service providers, etc.) and be able to communicate clear vision internally and externally.
- Ability to support the organization to deliver Best-in-Class Transportation performance in both service and cost.
- Lead team to develop ability to address all transportation related issues that different parties request and/or discuss, evaluating the problems, and finding the best course of action.
- Design and lead team to execute current processes and techniques and respond to changing needs within the business.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Engineering, Manufacturing, or related degree.
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience working in the Supply Chain space required; Experience within Transportation / Logistics industry, with Warehousing, Planning, and other Logistics proficiencies preferred.
- Functional and strong understanding of end-to-end supply chain strategy is fundamental to this challenging role.
- Must have proficiency in managing operations with the storage and handling of food grade / regulated products, and be knowledgeable of FDA / USDA / Health Canada Transportation requirements, as well as cross border and export / import documentation needs and product governance / traceability.
- Expert knowledge of industry trends and best practices for carrier and 3PL / TMS outsourcing.
- Desired experience in procuring (purchasing) various modes of freight, and leading / driving freight bids across national accounts and across different product divisions.
- Experience in managing national fuel strategy a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing Logistics Operations in a highly seasonal / variable volume business.
- Excellent customer service, planning, time management, decision-making, staffing and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proven ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
This position reports to the Director of North America Transportation, and will be located at Campbell’s WHQ in Camden, NJ. This role may require up to 10% – 15% travel.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.